I’m no stranger to highlighting Destiny 2 issues and suggesting fixes, and while I might write an entire post on individual issues pretty much every day, I figured it would be interesting to sort out a recent topic i found asking the community what they thought was the biggest problem with the game right now.
As such, I think there is something of a ranking order based on the number of positive responses received, and I also think there is a clear number 1. We have:
6. Monetization – Some players think monetization in Destiny has reached a tipping point because there are so many avenues, it’s just exhausting. At this point we have annual expansions, individual seasons, a “dungeon pack”, the 30th anniversary dungeon, the Eververse store, and even transmogrification. It’s a lot, and it’s only spreading over time.
5. Bad Netcode – This is just a general technical complaint, but it’s not wrong. This has affected Destiny for a very long time and remains one of the biggest obstacles to its online play.
4. Screen Capped Buffs – I am not sure that I can be persuaded that this is the the biggest problem, but given the amount of buffs and effects you activate in any version of Destiny these days, it’s nearly impossible to keep track of them all, because with a cap of four, many get pushed off-screen . This seems to be an area of the UI that needs an overhaul.
3. Outdated Playlists – This would be the Strike, Crucible, and Gambit playlists, which are supposed to be the core of the game, and which new players can access, but they are still very outdated. We’ve lost a ton of strikes to the Content Vault, and it’s only recently that we’ve started to catch up with Battlegrounds. However, we still don’t have enough interesting modifiers there. Crucible and Gambit are in desperate need of new cards and have been for years now. Slowly it may be starting to turn, but it’s taken an awful lot of time and there’s still a lot of work to be done.
2. Compete with teammates – This is a complaint about the number of challenges or bounties that require you to kill the last enemies, so you’re constantly at war with your own teammates trying to kill. Along with that, there’s a related complaint about bounties/challenges that basically force you to launch games because you’re playing so suboptimally or your teammates are doing it instead. The challenge system is often designed to have you working against your own team in some way.
1. The New Player Experience – By far, this is cited most often as the biggest problem facing Destiny 2, and I agree. It’s crazy that I play this game for a living, that I enjoy it as much as I do, and if you ask me a simple question, would you recommend this game, I’m not sure how to answer it. I don’t even know how to tell people where and how to start playing, between the content vault removing the first three years of content and how disparate all the monetization for the expansion, seasons and dungeons has become .
I’m also concerned that the new player experience doesn’t seem to get a significant overhaul until the end of the Light and Dark saga after The Final Shape, which will be some level of reset and reintroduction. I’m not sure Destiny can afford to wait another 2.5 years to refocus on the new player experience, because right now it needs a whole lot more than Shaw Han and a bunch of tooltips. Whether that’s reformatting the entire Destiny buying journey or reinserting lost content that was once a much easier intro, I’m not sure, but that’s absolutely what I would consider as the highest priority issue with the game right now. Adding new content to appease existing players will only get you so far if you can’t attract new players to the game over time.